1. BAUGH-GAN-GHAD said: I go forth. All who follow Me, are of Me. By will only is anything accomplished. That which I desire, I do. Without Me nothing is done. My name is MIGHT.
2. B-G-G. said: Fear is failure. I am without fear. I am the All Es, incorporated on the low earth, having no fear. (The All Es gave forth, having no fear. By this created He the creation. Like a lion goeth He forth. The sun is under His feet; so is the broad earth. Whatsoever liveth or is dead (inanimate objects), fleeth before His breath. Even Death cometh and goeth by His command.)
3. B-G-G. said: Go forth, My sons and daughters, multiply, fearing naught. Inasmuch as ye do these things, so will I exalt you. Inasmuch as ye do not these things, I will bind and enslave.
4. B-G-G. said: Think not I choose a weak man or a coward to be king. I choose only the valiant, that fear not. Think not that I exalt the weak in heaven and make them Gods over mortals; I choose the slayer of men and the death-dealing.
(At this part of the service the initiates march before the throne.)
5. B-G-G.: Who dareth My power? Down on your bellies and crawl like serpents before My throne! Down and speak! I command!
6. FIRST INITIATE: By Rux I swear! I will not down!
7. SECOND I.: By Him who standeth above the Sun, I will not down.
8. THIRD I.: Nor I, though thou drinkest my blood.
(Similar ejaculations from other initiates.)
9. B-G-G.: Then must I from My throne of skulls descend to raise the seat another row. Bring here my battle-ax (to servant). (The ax is brought, and the Master, clothed in a lion's skin, with a serpent's skin coiled about his head, descendeth from the throne, and seizing the battle-ax, falleth upon the initiates, who have been previously drilled. During the ceremonies, some of the initiates are killed outright, generally not intentionally. A cellar is underneath, and over this the boards are made to trip. The Master knoweth this, and (the initiates not knowing it) hath the advantage. The fray of skill lasteth about an hour, during which the initiates are mostly sent below.)
10. B-G-G.: Ha'oot! Ha'oot! With Ghads I fought. With Ghads I am king and brother! Come forth, fallen foes, and live triumphantly! With brothers like these I will go forth and gather skulls to build another temple. (The servants help all that are alive out of the cellar, and if they are well and strong they are spared, but if they are maimed bodily, they are slain with the battle-ax. All that thus fail to take the first degree, have their skulls scraped and added to the throne, or judgment-seat. During the ceremonies, and along with the initiates, are two or more who have been previously initiated, and these of course are spared.)
11. FIRST I.: To Thee and none else, I swear everlastingly. Thine be forever the place of skulls. (Ug'sa'sa) (Golgotha.)
12. B-G-G.: Know, then, ye Iod'a (Gods), I am descended from Baugh-ghan-ghad, the All Spirit of Light and Power. By Him incarnate in Mi, virgin of the corporeal world, My blood is fed by the souls of men. In the days before the flood of waters My Sire built a temple a hundred goo'en square; with skulls built he it, and feasted on their souls, uprising in the firmament, above the sun, companion of the stars. On the spirits of mortals slain, His spirit feasted full of rich strength, till all the world bowed down and called Him Master!
13. ORUHK (the choristers from behind, concealed): All hail! All hail! O Master, man and chief of blood! We come from the abode of flying wolves and lions and bears, upraised in the Osk'oe (sky) rocks that feed the black earth, the thrones of mighty Ghads! Great Baugh-ghan-ghad called us forth; for the clang of thy battle-ax shook the stars, saying: Down! Down, O ye Ghads, to Mi (mother earth). My holy begotten Son, king of p. 628 men, doth feed His throne with dead men's skulls! Behold, O King of Men, these thy valiant fighters, from their birth, are reared as brother Ghads! O, slay them not, but teach them that he who would rule in heaven must begin on earth, and send his neighbors bellowing down to dust! Bring them before the altar, smoking in their blood, and on the ark (a chest which containeth incense) let them mingle in covenant with the Everlasting Son!
Plate 88.--DISTANT VIEW OF THE TEMPLE OF BAUGH-GHAN-GHAD, IN GA'HAITE, 11,000 YEARS B.K.
(The marshals now conduct them before the altar, whence they cast down their battle-axes, and they join hands, encircling the ark. From the east, west, north and south the high priests come forth out of recesses in the walls of the temple, and the priests in twos and fours bear torches and approach the altar and the ark, chanting for the glory of Baugh-ghan-ghad, the All Powerful Creator of heaven and earth. The Master and the initiates take of their blood, which issueth from their wounds, and mingle it together, and lick with their tongues the commingled blood, saying: Drink ye it in remembrance of me and of Baugh-ghan-ghad, my Sire, the Creator, doing all things for His glory!) (And now come the Aha'da, bringing forth strips of flesh from the thighs of those who were slain in the ceremonies, and they bring them to the Master and he putteth the strips of flesh under his own thigh, and all the initiates put their hands under his thigh also, for this is swearing an oath by the thigh, and they say: I put my hand under this thigh, and I am sworn. Thereupon the Master taketh the strips of flesh and eateth thereof, and handeth of it to the initiates, saying: This is the flesh of my body, eat ye of it in remembrance of me and of Baugh-ghan-ghad, for in my blood and the flesh of my body have I established the esa-au-gau-hoi (Church militant) over all the world! Thereupon the initiates take the flesh and eat thereof.)
14. KOHEN (The chief priest): On this tablet write ye your names in blood, and by these bones and skulls swear ye.
15. INITIATES: On the tablet write we our names in blood, and by these bones and skulls we swear.
16. KOHEN AND INITIATES (together): To keep sacred the oath under the thigh; to preserve the holy words of the feast of flesh and blood, for coming generations, that the Light and Glory of Baugh-ghan-ghad, the Creator, may shine forever. Amen!
(The M'ghan, the women, now come forward, having cloth about the loins, and they bring the dead men and place their bodies on the altar of sacrifice, which hath been previously heaped up with dry wood, and when the fire is lighted the M'gau march around the altar of fire, singing and clapping hands. Presently there appeareth in the smoke and the foul smell of the burnt flesh the Ogs'uk (evil spirits), so that many can behold them, and they eat of the smoke and of the foul smell, which are the food of spirits of darkness, and when they have feasted satisfactorily they take of the smoke and of the foul smell, and carry them away to hada to their companions, of whom their number is endless.)
17. MASTER: Hioot'a! Hioot'a! Behold, my Sire appeareth in a cloud of smoke and fire. Bow down your heads, M'ghan'a (the women), and invoke His mighty power!
Plate 87.--TABLET OF BAUGH-GHAN-GHAD.
SECTIONAL VIEW OF GOLGOTHA TEMPLE 11,000 YEARS BEFORE KOSMON.
18. KOHEN'A (the high priests): O thou Almighty Baugh-ghan-ghad, Creator of heaven and earth, appear! appear! Thou that slayest all and feasteth thereon, appear! appear!
(Presently the chief of the Ogs'uk maketh a light in the midst of the black smoke, showing a face of fire, and it is a man's face; but the body he showeth is dark, and of the form of a lion. And now the people march around about within the temple, beating together their battle-axes and spears of wood, and clapping their hands, singing the while. The Master revealeth himself in the lion's skin, and ascendeth His throne of skulls, and he is no longer called Master, but Baugh-ghan-ghad.)
19. B-G-G.: As My Sire reigneth in heaven, so reign I on earth.
20. INITIATES: Hail, Holy Father, Baugh-ghan-ghad! Hail, Holy Son, Baugh-ghan-ghad!
21. B-G-G.: I command the earth!
22. I's.: The Son commandeth the earth.
23. B-G-G.: I command the mighty waters.
24. I's.: The Son commandeth the mighty waters.
25. B-G-G.: I command the air above the earth.
26. I's.: The Son commandeth the air above the earth.
27. B-G-G.: For these are Mine to keep forever.
28. I's.: For these are the Son's to keep forever.
29. B-G-G.: I am the Holy Esa-au-gau-hoi. (Church militant.)
30. I's.: The Son is the Holy Esa-au-gau-hoi.
31. B-G-G.: My holy labor is to subdue nations and tribes of men.
32. I's.: The Son's labor is to subdue nations and tribes of men.
33. B-G-G.: I make treaties or break them when I will.
34. I's.: The Son maketh or breaketh treaties when he will.
35. B-G-G.: For all things on the earth are Mine.
36. I's.: For all things on the earth are His.
37. B-G-G.: I am immaculate, and can not do wrong.
38. I's.: The Son is immaculate, and can not do wrong.
39. B-G-G.: Right and Wrong must be judged by me.
40. I's.: Right and Wrong must be judged by the Son.
41. B-G-G.: By My will do I make Wrong right, or Right wrong.
42. I's.: By the Son's will maketh He Wrong right, or Right wrong.
43. B-G-G.: I am the All Holy Standard.
44. I's.: The Son is the All Holy Standard.
45. B-G-G.: I can not err. I and My Father are one.
46. I's.: The Son can not err. The Son and the Father are one.
47. B-G-G.: I now demand a thousand skulls.
48. I's.: The Son demandeth a thousand skulls.
49. B-G-G.: Baugh-ghan-ghad demandeth a thousand skulls.
50. I's.: Baugh-ghan-ghad shall have a thousand skulls.
51. B-G-G.: Baugh-ghan-ghad demandeth a pool of human blood for His Son's silver boat.
52. I's.: Baugh-ghan-ghad shall have a pool of human blood for His Son's silver boat.
53. B-G-G.: Go forth, my brother Iod'a (Gods), and bring the skulls and the blood, for this is the time of the sacred solemn feast!
54. I's.: We will forth and bring a thousand skulls and the blood for our King. All hail! Mighty King of Men! All Hail!
(The Master now riseth to his feet, with his battle-ax outstretched, menacingly. The initiates upraise their axes and spears menacingly also, and walking backward, depart out of the temple.)