1. THE time of the habitation of Asu was eight thousand years; and they survived two thousand years after the time of the birth of the I'hins, which is to say: Asu dwelt on the earth six thousand years, and then conceived of the chosen of God; and after that survived yet two thousand years.
2. And Asu (Adam) disappeared off the face of the earth.
3. And there remained on the earth the sacred people, the I'hins; and the carnivorous people, the Druks.
4. The I'hins were white and yellow, but the Druks were brown and black; the I'hins were small and slender, but the Druks were tall and stout.
5. Now, because the Druks had not previously obeyed the Lord, but went and dwelt with the asu'ans, there was a half-breed race born on the earth, called Yak, signifying ground people; and they burrowed in the ground like beasts of the forest. And the Yaks did not walk wholly upright, but also went on all fours.
6. God said: Because the Yaks cannot be taught the crime of incest, behold they shall not dwell forever on the earth. So also shall it be with the Druks, save wherein they cohabit with the I'hins, whose seed is born unto everlasting life. But with the Druks, and their heirs that spring from the Yaks, there shall be an end, both in this world and the next.
7. And the arms of the Yaks were long, and their backs were stooped and curved. And the Lord said: Because they are the fruit of incest, and not capable of speech, nor of eternal life in heaven, the I'hins shall make servants of them.
8. And that they may not tempt my chosen to bring forth fruit unto destruction, they shall be neutralized in my sight. And the angels of God taught the I'hins to make eunuchs of the Yaks; of the males and females made the I'hins eunuchs of the Yaks, and took them for servants.
9. And the Lord said: The Yaks shall serve the I'hins, and build and sow and reap for them. And it was so.
10. The I'hins were disposed to live alone, but the Lord called them together, saying: Come and dwell together in cities. For it is meet that ye live after the manner of my kingdoms in heaven.
11. Build ye therefore unto the Lord your God; and my angels shall dwell with you, teaching you to sing and dance for the glory of your Creator.
12. And man built unto the Lord, and established worship on earth after the manner of heaven.
13. Now it came to pass that the Druks came to witness the rites and ceremonies of the chosen, but they took no part therein, neither comprehended they the meaning thereof.
14. And God said unto the I'hins: That ye may teach some of them of the Lord your God, build ye within the house of worship an image of me; in likeness of man build ye it. And I will manifest unto as many as are capable of everlasting life.
15. And the I'hins, men and women, with their servants, built images of stone and clay and wood unto the Lord, and stood them by the altars of sacrifice.
16. And in the time of worship, the angels of the Lord came and possessed the idols and spake therefrom, with audible voices spake before mortals.
17. And the Druks inquired of the I'hins as to the cause thereof. And the I'hins said: Behold, there is a God in heaven, more subtle than the air of p. 45 heaven. He it was that brought us forth out of darkness. He speaketh in idol that ye may know he abideth with his people.
18. The Druks said: What saith he? The I'hins answered, saying: That whosoever hath attained to remember God is in the way of everlasting life.
19. The Druks inquired, saying: How shall a man live forever? Behold, ye that believe also die!
20. The I'hins answered, saying: As the voice of the Lord is unseen but potent, so is there a spirit in man unseen and potent, which shall never die, but ascend to heaven to habitations prepared by the Lord.
21. And many of the Druks pondered on these things, and their thoughts quickened their souls within them, so that they brought forth heirs unto eternal salvation.
22. And the Lord said unto the I'hins: Because ye have done a good thing, go ye abroad, by the roadsides and in other places, and build images unto me and mine, and my angels shall bestow gifts and signs and miracles.
23. And the I'hins covered the roadways of the earth over with idols of stone and wood and clay, and the angels of heaven descended to the idols and established thereabout heavenly kingdoms.
24. And when man came hither, and called on the name of the Lord, it was as a password for the angels; and they wrought miracles, and otherwise gave evidence unto man of the Unseen.