Mission of San Juan Capistrano
HE seventh link in the great chain, was founded in 1776 and became in its time a mighty establishment. An eminent architect, the late Arthur B. Benton, who made a careful survey of San Juan Capistrano with a view to its possible full restoration estimated that the work could not be done at a less cost than $200,000. It is here that the only remaining church in which Father Serra celebrated Mass is to be seen, and which has been completely restored by Father St. John O'Sullivan. But the great main church which was wrecked by the earthquake of 1812 still remains in ruins.
Click to enlarge
Mission San Juan Capistrano
Next: Mission Santa Clara de Assisi