The Holy Quran, tr. by Yusuf Ali, , at sacred-texts.com
141. Kaththabat thamoodu almursaleena
141. The Thamūd (people) rejected
142. Ith qala lahum akhoohum salihun ala tattaqoona
142. Behold, their brother Ṣāliḥ
Said to them: "Will you not
143. Innee lakum rasoolun ameenun
143. "I am to you an apostle
Worthy of all trust.
144. Faittaqoo Allaha waateeAAooni
144. "So fear God, and obey me.
145. Wama as-alukum AAalayhi min ajrin in ajriya illa AAala rabbi alAAalameena
145. "No reward do I ask
Of you for it: my reward
Is only from the Lord
Of the Worlds.
146. Atutrakoona fee ma hahuna amineena
146. "Will ye be left secure,
In (the enjoyment of) all
That ye have here?—
147. Fee jannatin waAAuyoonin
147. "Gardens and Springs,
148. WazurooAAin wanakhlin talAAuha hadeemun
148. "And corn-fields and date palms
With spathes near breaking
(With the weight of fruit)?
149. Watanhitoona mina aljibali buyootan fariheena
149. "And ye carve houses
Out of (rocky) mountains
With great skill.
150. Faittaqoo Allaha waateeAAooni
150. "But fear God and obey me;
151. Wala tuteeAAoo amra almusrifeena
151. "And follow not the bidding
Of those who are extravagant,—
152. Allatheena yufsidoona fee al-ardi wala yuslihoona
152. "Who make mischief in the land,
And mend not (their ways)."
153. Qaloo innama anta mina almusahhareena
153. Whey said: "Thou art only
One of those bewitched!'
154. Ma anta illa basharun mithluna fa/ti bi-ayatin in kunta mina alssadiqeena
154. "Thou art no more than
A mortal like us:
Then bring us a Sign,
If thou tellest the truth!"
155. Qala hathihi naqatun laha shirbun walakum shirbu yawmin maAAloomin
155. He said: "Here is
A she-camel: she has
A right of watering,
And ye have a right
Of watering, (severally)
On a day appointed.
156. Wala tamassooha bisoo-in faya/khuthakum AAathabu yawmin AAatheemin
156. "Touch her not with harm,
Lest the Penalty
Of a Great Day
157. FaAAaqarooha faasbahoo nadimeena
157. But they ham-strung her:
Then did they become
Full of regrets.
158. Faakhathahumu alAAathabu inna fee thalika laayatan wama kana aktharuhum mu/mineena
158. But the Penalty seized them.
Verily in this is a Sign:
But most of them
Do not believe.
159. Wa-inna rabbaka lahuwa alAAazeezu alrraheemu
159. And verily thy Lord
Is He, the Exalted in Might,