The Holy Quran, tr. by Yusuf Ali, , at sacred-texts.com
123. Kaththabat AAadun almursaleena
123. The ’Ad (people) rejected'
124. Ith qala lahum akhoohum hoodun ala tattaqoona
124. Behold, their brother Hūd
Said to them: "Will ye not
125. Innee lakum rasoolun ameenun
125. "I am to you an apostle
Worthy of all trust:
126. Faittaqoo Allaha waateeAAooni
126. "So fear God and obey me.
127. Wama as-alukum AAalayhi min ajrin in ajriya illa AAala rabbi alAAalameena
127. "No reward do I ask
Of you for it my reward
Is only from the Lord
Of the Worlds.
128. Atabnoona bikulli reeAAin ayatan taAAbathoona
128. "Do ye build a landmark
On every high place
To amuse yourselves?
129. Watattakhithoona masaniAAa laAAallakum takhludoona
129. "And do ye get for yourselves
Fine buildings in the hope
Of living therein (for ever)?
130. Wa-itha batashtum batashtum jabbareena
130. "And when ye exert
Your strong hand,
Do ye do it like men
Of absolute power?
131. Faittaqoo Allaha waateeAAooni
131. "Now fear God, and obey me.
132. Waittaqoo allathee amaddakum bima taAAlamoona
132. "Yea, fear Him Who
Has bestowed on you
Freely all that ye know.
133. Amaddakum bi-anAAamin wabaneena
133. "Freely has He bestowed
On you cattle and sons,—
134. Wajannatin waAAuyoonin
134. "And Gardens and Springs.
135. Innee akhafu AAalaykum AAathaba yawmin AAatheemin
135. "Truly I fear for you
The Penalty of a Great Day."
136. Qaloo sawaon AAalayna awaAAathta am lam takun mina alwaAAitheena
136. They said: "It is the same
To us whether thou
Admonish us or be not
Among (our) admonishers!
137. In hatha illa khuluqu al-awwaleena
137. "This is no other than
A customary device
Of the ancients,
138. Wama nahnu bimuAAaththabeena
138. "And we are not the ones
To receive Pains and Penalties!"
139. Fakaththaboohu faahlaknahum inna fee thalika laayatan wama kana aktharuhum mu/mineena
139. So they rejected him,
And We destroyed them.
Verily in this is a Sign:
But most of them
Do not believe.
140. Wa-inna rabbaka lahuwa alAAazeezu alrraheemu
140. And verily thy Lord
Is He, the Exalted in Might,