The Holy Quran, tr. by Yusuf Ali, , at sacred-texts.com
1. Alif-lam-ra tilka ayatu alkitabi waqur-anin mubeenin
1. A. L. R. These are
The Āyats of Revelation,—
Of a Qur-ān
That makes things clear.
2. Rubama yawaddu allatheena kafaroo law kanoo muslimeena
2. Again and again will those
Who disbelieve, wish that they
Had bowed (to God's Will)
3. Tharhum ya/kuloo wayatamattaAAoo wayulhihimu al-amalu fasawfa yaAAlamoona
3. Leave them alone, to enjoy
(The good things of this life)
And to please themselves:
Let (false) Hope amuse them: soon
Will knowledge (undeceive them).
4. Wama ahlakna min qaryatin illa walaha kitabun maAAloomun
4. Never did We destroy
A population that had not
A term decreed and assigned
5. Ma tasbiqu min ommatin ajalaha wama yasta/khiroona
5. Neither can a people anticipate
Its Term, nor delay it.
6. Waqaloo ya ayyuha allathee nuzzila AAalayhi alththikru innaka lamajnoonun
6. They say: "O thou to whom
The Message is being revealed!
Truly thou art mad (or possessed)!
7. Law ma ta/teena bialmala-ikati in kunta mina alssadiqeena
7. "Why bringest thou not
Angels to us if it be
That thou hast the Truth?"
8. Ma nunazzilu almala-ikata illa bialhaqqi wama kanoo ithan munthareena
8. We send not the angels
Down except for just cause:
If they came (to the ungodly),
Behold! no respite would they have!
9. Inna nahnu nazzalna alththikra wa-inna lahu lahafithoona
9. We have, without doubt,
Sent down the Message;
And We will assuredly
Guard it (from corruption).
10. Walaqad arsalna min qablika fee shiyaAAi al-awwaleena
10. We did send apostles before thee
Amongst the religious sects
11. Wama ya/teehim min rasoolin illa kanoo bihi yastahzi-oona
11. But never came an apostle
To them but they mocked him.
12. Kathalika naslukuhu fee quloobi almujrimeena
12. Even so do we let it creep
Into the hearts of the sinners—
13. La yu/minoona bihi waqad khalat sunnatu al-awwaleena
13. That they should not believe
In the (Message); but the ways
Of the ancients have passed away.
14. Walaw fatahna AAalayhim baban mina alssama-i fathalloo feehi yaAArujoona
14. Even if We opened out to them
A gate from heaven,
And they were to continue
(All day) ascending therein,
15. Laqaloo innama sukkirat absaruna bal nahnu qawmun mashooroona
15. They would only say:
"Our eyes have been intoxicated:
Nay, we have been bewitched