The Holy Quran, tr. by Yusuf Ali, , at sacred-texts.com
47. Ya banee isra-eela othkuroo niAAmatiya allatee anAAamtu AAalaykum waannee faddaltukum AAala alAAalameena
47. O Children of Israel! call to mind
The (special) favour which I bestowed
Upon you, and that I preferred you
To all others (for My Message).
48. Waittaqoo yawman la tajzee nafsun AAan nafsin shay-an wala yuqbalu minha shafaAAatun wala yu/khathu minha AAadlun wala hum yunsaroona
48. Then guard yourselves against a day
When one soul shall not avail another
Nor shall intercession be accepted for her,
Nor shall compensation be taken from her,
Nor shall anyone be helped (from outside).
49. Wa-ith najjaynakum min ali firAAawna yasoomoonakum soo-a alAAathabi yuthabbihoona abnaakum wayastahyoona nisaakum wafee thalikum balaon min rabbikum AAatheemun
49. And remember, We delivered you
From the people of Pharaoh: they set you
Hard tasks and punishments, slaughtered
Your sons and let your women-folk live;
Therein was a tremendous trial from your Lord.
50. Wa-ith faraqna bikumu albahra faanjaynakum waaghraqna ala firAAawna waantum tanthuroona
50. And remember We divided
The Sea for you and saved you
And drowned Pharaoh's people
Within your very sight.
51. Wa-ith waAAadna moosa arbaAAeena laylatan thumma ittakhathtumu alAAijla min baAAdihi waantum thalimoona
51. And remember We appointed
Forty nights for Moses,
And in his absence ye took
The calf (for worship),
And ye did grievous wrong.
52. Thumma AAafawna AAankum min baAAdi thalika laAAallakum tashkuroona
52. Even then We did forgive you;
There was a chance for you
To be grateful.
53. Wa-ith atayna moosa alkitaba waalfurqana laAAallakum tahtadoona
53. And remember We gave
Moses the Scripture and the Criterion
(Between right and wrong): there was
A chance for you to be guided aright.
54. Wa-ith qala moosa liqawmihi ya qawmi innakum thalamtum anfusakum biittikhathikumu alAAijla fatooboo ila bari-ikum faoqtuloo anfusakum thalikum khayrun lakum AAinda bari-ikum fataba AAalaykum innahu huwa alttawwabu alrraheemu
54. And remember Moses said
To his people: "O my people!
Ye have indeed wronged
Yourselves by your worship of the calf:
So turn (in repentance) to your Maker,
And slay yourselves (the wrong-doers);
That will be better for you
In the sight of your Maker."
Then He turned towards you (in forgiveness):
For He is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.
55. Wa-ith qultum ya moosa lan nu/mina laka hatta nara Allaha jahratan faakhathatkumu alssaAAiqatu waantum tanthuroona
55. And remember ye said: "O Moses!
We shall never believe in thee
Until we see God manifestly,"
But ye were dazed
With thunder and lightning
Even as ye looked on.
56. Thumma baAAathnakum min baAAdi mawtikum laAAallakum tashkuroona
56. Then We raised you up
After your death:
Ye had the chance
To be grateful.
57. Wathallalna AAalaykumu alghamama waanzalna AAalaykumu almanna waalssalwa kuloo min tayyibati ma razaqnakum wama thalamoona walakin kanoo anfusahum yathlimoona
57. And We gave you the shade of clouds
And sent down to you
Manna and quails, saying:
"Eat of the good things
We have provided fcr you:"
(But they rebelled);
To Us they did no harm,
But they harmed their own souls.
58. Wa-ith qulna odkhuloo hathihi alqaryata fakuloo minha haythu shi/tum raghadan waodkhuloo albaba sujjadan waqooloo hittatun naghfir lakum khatayakum wasanazeedu almuhsineena
58. And remember We said:
"Enter this town, and eat
Of the plenty therein
As ye wish; but enter
The gate with humility,
In posture and in words,
And We shall forgive you your faults
And increase (the portion of)
Those who do good."
59. Fabaddala allatheena thalamoo qawlan ghayra allathee qeela lahum faanzalna AAala allatheena thalamoo rijzan mina alssama-i bima kanoo yafsuqoona
59. But the transgressors
Changed the word from that
Which had been given them;
So We sent on the transgt essors
A plague from heaven,
For that they infringed
(Our command) repeatedly.