The Grihya Sutras, Part 1 (SBE29), by Hermann Oldenberg, , at sacred-texts.com
1 1. A student after he has studied the Veda and has offered a present to his teacher, should, with permission (of his parents), take a wife.
2 2. And (he should take) the bath (which signifies the end of studentship).
3 3-4. Of these two (acts the taking of) the bath comes first.
3, 1. brahmakârî vedam adhîtyopanyâhritya guraveऽnugñâto dârân kurvîtâ. 2. ऽplavanañ ka. 3. tayor âplavanam pûrvam.
4. As, however, in the (collection of) Mantras marriage is treated of (first), it is explained (here) before (the bath).
5 5. A Brâhmana with a water-pot, wrapped in his robe, keeping silence, should step in front of the fire and should station himself (to the south of it) with his face to the north.
6 6. After (the bride) has taken a bath, (the bridegroom) should dress her in a garment that has not yet been washed, with (the verse), 'They who spun' (MB. I, 1, 5). While she is led up (to him), the bridegroom should murmur (the verse), 'Soma gave her' (l.l. 7).
7 7. To the south of the bridegroom he (who has led her to him) should make her sit down.
8. While she touches him, (the bridegroom) should make oblations of Âgya with the Sruva, picking out (portions of it [comp. Pâraskara II, 14, 131), with the Mahâvyâhritis.
9. A fourth (oblation) with (the three Mahâvyâhritis) together.
10. The same at the ceremonies of the tonsure (of the child's head), of the initiation (of the Brahmakârin), and of the cutting of the beard.
4. mantrâbhivâdât tu pânigrahanasya (correct, pânigrahanam?) pûrvam vyâkhyâtam. 5. brâhmanas sahodakumbhah prâvrito vâgyatoऽgrenâgnim gatvodaṅmukhas tishthet. 6. snâtâm ahatenâkhâdya yâ akrintann ity ânîyamânâyâm pânigrâhogapet Somoऽdadad iti. 7. pânigrâhasya dakshinata upavesayed. 8. anvârabdhâyâm sruvenopaghâtam mahâvyâhritibhir âgyam guhuyât. 9. samastâbhis katurthîm. 10. evam kaulopanayanagodâneshv.
11. And at the marriage (he makes oblations) with the six verses, 'May Agni go as the first' (MB. I, I, 9 seqq.).
12. At Âgya oblations, unless a special rule is given, the two Âgya portions and the Svishtakrit oblation (are) not (offered).
13. After (the chief oblations he should) always (make oblations) with the Mahâvyâhritis,
14 14-15. And with the (verse) sacred to Pragâpati.
15. He should make an expiatory oblation.
16 16-31. After the sacrifice they both arise.
17. (The bridegroom) should pass behind (the bride's) back, station himself to the south, and seize the bride's hand.
18. Her mother who has, towards the east, put fried grain mixed with Samî leaves into a basket,
19. Should make the bride tread with the tip of her right foot on an upper mill-stone, to the west of the fire, with (the verse which the bridegroom repeats), 'On this stone' (MB. I, 2, 1).
20. Her brother, filling once his joined hands
11. Agnir etu prathama iti shadbhis ka pânigrahane. 12. nâgyabhâgau na svishtakrid âgyâhutishv anâdese. 13. sarvatroparishtân mahâvyâhritibhih 1. 14. prâgâpatyayâ ka. 15. prâyaskittam guhuyâd. 16. dhutvopottishthato. 17. ऽnuprishtham gatvâ dakshinatoऽvasthâya vadhvañgalim grihnîyât. 18. pûrvâ mâtâ samîpalâsamisrân (var. lect. °misrâl) lâgâñ khûrpe kritvâ. 19. paskâd agner drishatputram âkramayed vadhûm dakshinena prapadenemam asmânam iti. 20. sakridgrihîtam añgalim lâgânâm vadhvañgalâv âvaped bhrâtâ.
with fried grain, should pour it into the bride's joined hands.
21 21. Or some friend (instead of the brother).
22. That she should sacrifice over the fire without opening her joined hands with (the verse which the bridegroom repeats), 'This woman' (MB. I, 2, 2).
23. (The verses), 'Aryaman' and 'Pûshan' (l.l. 3, 4) (are repeated) at the two following (oblations of fried grain).
24. After that sacrifice he should go back in the same way (see Sûtra 17), and should lead her round the fire, so that their right sides are turned towards it with (the formula), 'The maid from the fathers' (l.l. 5).
25. (These rites), beginning from his stationing himself (to the south, Sûtra 17), (are performed) thrice.
26. After (she) has poured the remnants (of the fried grain) into the fire, he should make her step forward in a north-eastern direction with (the formula), 'For sap with one step' (l.l. 6, 7).
27. The looking at the lookers-on, the mounting of the chariot, the reciting (of Mantras) at places difficult to pass (on the way of the bridegroom and the bride, is performed) with (verses) suited (to those different occasions).
21. suhrid vâ kaskit. 22. tam sâgnau guhuyâd avikhidyâñgalim iyam nârîty. 23. Aryamanam Pûshanam ity uttarayor. 24. hute tenaiva gatvâ pradakshinam agnim parinayet kanyalâ pitribhya ity. 25. avasthânaprabhrity evam tris. 26. sûrpena sishtân agnâv opya prâgudîkîm utkramayed ekam isha itî. 27. ऽkshakâvekshanarathârohanadurgânumantranâny abhirûpâbhir.
28. Walking forward behind the fire, the water-carrier (see Sûtra 5) should besprinkle the bridegroom on his forehead.
29. So also the bride.
30. When he has thus been besprinkled, (he should repeat the verse), 'May (the Visve devâs) anoint (or, unite)' (MB. I, 2, 9).
31. He should seize her right hand, together with the thumb, with the six (verses), 'I seize thy hand' (MB. I, 2, 10 seqq.).
28. aparenâgnim auduko gatvâ pânigrâham mûrdhany avasiñked. 29. vadhûm ka. 30. samañgantv ity avasikto. 31. dakshinam pânim sâṅgushtham grihnîyâd gribhnâmi ta iti shadbhih.
379:1 3, 1 = Gobhila III, 4, 1.
379:2 1. 2 = III, 4, 7.
379:3-4 3, 4 desunt.
380:5 5 = II, I, 13.
380:6 6 = II, 1, 17-19.
380:7 7 seqq. = II, I, 23 seqq.; I, 9, 26 seqq.
381:14-15 14, 15 desunt.
381:16-31 16-31 = II, 2, 1 seqq.
381:1 Possibly the Sûtras 12 and 13 should be divided thus: 12. nâgyabhâgau na svishtakrid âgyâhutishv. 13. anâdese sarvatr° &c. Comp. Gobhila I, 9, 26. 27; Sâṅkhâyana I, 12, 13; 9, 10.
382:21 (21 and a part of 27 desunt.)