The Grihya Sutras, Part 1 (SBE29), by Hermann Oldenberg, , at sacred-texts.com
1 1. Now henceforth the domestic sacrifices (will be explained).
2 2. During the northern course of the sun, at the time of the increasing moon, on auspicious days, before noon: this is the time at which the constellations are lucky, unless a special statement is given.
3 3. At the end (of the ceremonies) he should give to the Brâhmanas to eat according to his ability.
4 4-6. The sacrificial cord is made of a string or of Kusa grass.
5. If he suspends it round his neck and raises the right arm (so as to wear the cord on his left shoulder), he becomes yagñopavîtin.
6. (If he raises) the left (arm and wears the cord on his right shoulder, he becomes) prâkînâvîtin.
7 7-10. After having sipped water three times, let him wipe off the water twice.
I, 1, 1. athâto grihyâkarmâny. 2. udagayanapûrvapakshapunyâheshu prâg âvartanâd anubhah kâloऽnâdese. 3. ऽpavarge yathotsâham brâhmanân âsayed. 4. yagñopavîtam sautram kausam vâ. 5. grîvâyâm pratimukya dakshinam bâhum uddhritya yagñopavîtî bhavati. 6. savyam prâkînâvîtî. 7. trir âkamyâpo dvih parimrigîta.
8. Having besprinkled his feet (with water), let him besprinkle his head.
9. Let him touch the organs of his senses (i.e. his eyes, his nose, and his ears) with water (i.e. with a wet hand).
10. When he has finally touched (water) again, he becomes pure.
11 11-14. (If) sitting, standing, or lying down (is prescribed), he should understand (that it is to be done) on northward-pointed Darbha grass, with the face turned to the east, to the west of the fire with which the sacrifice is performed.
12. If the word Snâna (or bathing) is used, (this refers to the whole body) with the head.
13. (The different ceremonies are) performed with the right hand, if no special rule is given.
14. If it is not clear where a Mantra ends, one should discern it by (adverting to) the beginning of the next Mantra.
15 15. The Mantras have the word svâhâ at their end, when offerings are made.
16 16. The term Pâkayagña is used of every sacrifice that is performed with one fire.
17 17-18. There the Brahman is (present as) officiating priest, with the exception of the morning and evening oblations.
8. pâdâv abhyukshya siroऽbhyukshed. 9. indriyâny adbhih samsprised. 10. antatah pratyupasprisya sukir bhavaty. 11. âsanasthânasamvesanâny udagagreshu darbheshu prâṅmukhasya pratîyât paskâd agner yatra homa syât. 12. sahasirasam snânasabde. 13. dakshinena pâninâ krityam anâdese. 14. mantrântam avyak tam parasyâdigrahanena vidyât. 15. svâhântâ mantra homeshu. 16. pâkayagña ityâkhya yah kas kaikâgnau. 17. tatra ritvig brahmâ sâyamprâtarhomavargam.
18. The Hotri's place is filled by (the sacrificer) himself.
19 19. To the south of the fire the Brahman sits facing the north, silently, until the oblation has been performed, on eastward-pointed (Darbha grass).
20 20-22. But if he likes, he may speak of what refers to the sacrifice.
21. Or if he has spoken (words) which are unworthy of the sacrifice, let him murmur the Mahâvyâhritis,
22. Or (the verse), 'Thus has Vishnu' (Sv. I, 222).
23 23. If he does himself the work both of the Brahman and of the Hotri, let him sit down on the Brahman's seat, and (leave that seat) placing a parasol on it, or an outer garment, or a water-pot, and then let him perform his other duties.
24 24. Let him take care not to turn his back to, or become separated (by any person or thing interposed) from what belongs to the sacrifice.
18. svayamhautram. 19. dakshinatoऽgner udaṅmukhas tûshnîm âste brahmâ homât prâgagreshu. 20. kâmam tv adhiyagñam vyâhared. 21. ayagñiyâm vâ vyâhritya mahâvyâhritîr gaped. 22. idam vishnur ita vâ. 23. hautrabrahmatve svayam kurvan brahmâsanam [sic] upavisya khattram uttarâsaṅgam kamandalum vâ tatra kritvâthânyat kuryâd. 24. avyâvrittim yagñâṅgair avyavâyam kekhet.
374:1 I, 1, 1 = Gobhila I, 1, I.
374:2 2 = I, 1, 3.
374:3 3 = I, 1, 6.
374:4-6 4-6 = I, 2, 1 seqq.
374:7-10 7-10 = 1, 2, 5 seqq.
375:11-14 11-14 desunt.
375:15 15 = 1, 9, 25.
375:16 16 deest.
375:17-18 17, 18 = I. 9, 8. 9.
376:19 19 = I, 6, 13 seqq.
376:20-22 20-22 = I, 6, 17 seqq.
376:23 23 = I, 6, 21.
376:24 24 deest.