The Scofield Bible Commentary, by Cyrus Ingerson Scofield, , at sacred-texts.com
3 Kings (1 Kings)
Book Introduction - 1 Kings
First Kings records the death of David, the reign of Solomon, the building of the temple, death of Solomon, division of the kingdom under Rehoboam and Jeroboam, and the history of the two kingdoms to the reign of Jehoram over Judah, and Ahaziah over Samaria. Includes the mighty ministry of Elijah.
The book is in six parts:
1. From the rebellion of Adonijah to the death of David (1 Kings 1:1 - 2:11).
2. From the accession of Solomon to the death of Solomon (1 Kings 2:12 - 11:43).
3. From the division of the kingdom to the death of Jeroboam and Rehoboam (1 Kings 12:1 - 14:31).
4. The kingdoms to the accession of Ahab (1 Kings 15:1 - 16:28).
5. Accession of Ahab to his death (1 Kings 16:29 - 22:40).
6. From the reign of Jehoshaphat to the accession of Jehoram over Judah, and Ahaziah over Samaria (1 Kings 22:41-53).
The events recorded in First Kings cover a period of 118 years (Ussher).